Monday, July 12, 2010

Witten's 2 Months Old

Ok, every thing's starting to blur together now that we're 8 weeks into this thing, but I'm going to do my best!

Two weeks ago I started going to the hospital first thing in the morning. I changed my pumping schedule to 12am, 5am, and 8am. This meant that I was able to pump on the way to the hospital to see Witten. Then I sat with him for about 2 hours before it was his next feeding time (at 11). I've been nursing him now for about a week, so it's been nice to be there during his bottle time to try nursing. (I say bottle time because he was only getting a bottle every other feeding, so he had it at 11 and 5 daily.) I would also stay until about 1is which gave me 4 solid hours with him. This is WAY more time than I had been spending up there with him. I don't go back in the evenings to meet Mitch up there because the drive is so long. It does give Mitch good bonding time with W all on his own though, and I have so much fun with him in the morning. I am able to just put my feet up on the chair that Mitch usually sits in, and I can hold him on my chest and rock while I'm reading whichever Olympian book I'm on. (I'm reading the series because my kids do, and I like to know what they're reading, and have books to suggest to the timid readers. I also teach mythology, so they are pretty interesting books! I recommend them to any of you with kids in the 10 and up age group.)

I've been taking pictures on my IPhone of Witten every few days, so I'll post a few.


July 1st
4th of July - Notice the cute red, white, and blue car pj's? They went missing the next day. I was so frustrated. One nurse told us not to buy clothes because he'd outgrow them before he went home. Then one day, a nurse told him that we had to bring long sleeved pj's for him by the next morning because he was moved into a big boy bed and needed to keep warm. My mom actually left the hospital, went to BRU, bought these, and came back, put his name in everything, and left them with 4 other pairs of pj's at the hospital. Then he was moved to a bed with a warmer for 2 more weeks and couldn't use them. This was his first day in these pj's, and the next day, they were missing. They had been sent out with the laundry which is done by a volunteer at her home, so there's no telling when they'll come back. They had been leaving the laundry under the bed for me to pick up, take home, and wash.
July 6th - He was wide awake after I fed him, so I got out his giraffe and money, and we played for about an hour before he fell asleep. He looks like he's not too sure about them in this picture.
Ok, I guess these guys are okay after all!
Witten has learned to hold his own nook in his mouth.
July 9th - Trying to take a self portrait with an Iphone is a lot more difficult than it looks!
Here's another set of pj's that went missing.
July 11th - This was right after Witten gave us an I love you in sign language. If you look closely at his right hand, you can still see the fingers coming back down.
He's practicing his Heisman pose. Sorry Jason Witten, but I guess he's more of a Romo fan!
But if football doesn't work out, he's got a promising future in something academic.

Witten's current weight is 5 pouns 15 ounces, and his hight is 18". He is still on the nasal cannula, and I feel that he can probably come off, as does the nurse practitioner, but we're going to leave him on until he's about to come home just to make sure that he doesn't have any more setbacks. He is now taking two bottles in a row, then resting for one. They think that he'll move up to all 8 bottles a day starting tomorrow. That all depends on how he takes his bottles today though. I did have a conversation with him yesterday when we were leaving about the importance of finishing his bottles so that he could come home. (He was only taking about 2/3 of each bottle.) We talked for 3 or 4 minutes, and the next time he ate, he sucked it down FAST. Then he finished all of his bottles last night, and did well this morning. I'm very excited about how he's doing, and am hopeful that he'll be home by this weekend or next week.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I have been following your story and getting updates from your mom at church. He is so cute and seems to be doing well. I love that he is getting a little chub to his cheeks. Such a cutie!!

Anonymous said...

He is looking great - I am so excited that he'll be coming home soon!

-Julie