Monday, July 26, 2010

Witten's First Week Home

This is a post of all the things that have happened since we got home, so it's super long and has a ton of pictures!

As you can see, finishing it has been an issue too as I started it on Monday, and now it's Friday!


Sunday, July 18th


As we were getting to class on Sunday, Mitch looked at my phone and realized that I had missed a call from the NICU. He went out to return the call, and we said an opening prayer; they prayed for us as they have been for weeks. When he came back in, it seemed like he was trying not to smile too big, so I asked him what the doctor said. He whispered to me that they were going to let us room in that night assuming that they could get the oxygen people out to show us how to use the portable tanks.

After class, we called back and found out that the girl on call would be out at 3 to give us what we needed, so we rushed home from class to pack our bags for the night and get the car seat ready.

At the hospital, they had to do a car seat test an hour after his next feeding. He had to sit in his seat for an hour and a half to see how he did. He passed with flying colors, so they moved his crib into a teeny hotel type room, and we were officially his primary care givers.

It was a long night because we were suddenly charged with feeding him every 3 hours, and I of course still had to pump, so we only got about 2 hours of sleep total. He also has a problem with grunting a lot because he's trying to get out gas or other stuff, so that kept us up too.

Monday, July 19th

We had a lot to do when businesses opened. We needed to call Witten's pediatrician to set up his appointment, call Social Security to let them know that he was coming home, call the oxygen people to let them know when we'd be home so that they could deliver the home unit, call the hospital billing office to find out why they were billing the wrong insurance company, and Mitch had to get to Walgreens to pick up his prescription before they would let us go home. We also had the hospital photographer come right before we left to get pictures, but after she took about 7, her battery died, so I took my own pictures of him.
Then it was time to change him into his going home outfit and get him in his car seat.
He had been wide awake all morning with all that was going on, so he fell asleep in his seat before we even got out of the room.Then my camera battery died, so the rest of the pictures before we got home were on my cell and not very interesting to look at.

We were trying to beat the oxygen guy home, but I was starving, so we did a quick drive through Sonic. It was really hard to eat it in the backseat with no cup holder and my arm wrapped through the car seat because it was so close to me.

We tried out his swing when he got home. He stayed in it for a little while, but not long. He grunted a lot and then started crying, so it was time to take him out.We changed him into a new onsie when we got home so that he didn't get one of his 2 church outfits dirty, and I sat with him in his boppy for hours just playing with him, talking to him, and looking at him. He was awake most of the day due to all of the new things going on and everything there was to look at.

Tuesday, July 20th


We had our first doctor's appointment this morning. He hasn't really gained any weight in days, but we'll see how he looks next week. We asked her about the grunting, and she explained a lot about pooping and told us that it was normal, so we'll see. It was also quite an experience to take him in with the oxygen tank strapped to my back.

My mom bought him this 3 in one toy that grows from a play mat to a bouncer to a standing toy. She put together the play mat today, and I was so glad that he finally had something to stimulate him. I felt that he was getting too old to be in the hospital because all they did for him was medical. He was beginning to be awake longer, and all he could do when I wasn't there was to lie in his bed and stare out at whatever he could see.

GranJan put the mat together, and I tried it once, but he wasn't too interested at the time. She sure did enjoy seeing her grandson at home for the first time, and I really enjoyed having the opportunity to sleep for an hour and a half.


Wednesday, July 21st


Last night Witten only wanted to be held. I think it had something to do with all of his gas and other problems in that area. He was grunting and screaming all night unless I held him, so I slept reclined against a giant pillow with him on my chest and the boppy under him, helping keep him in place so that he couldn't slide down or to either side. Then, he ended up sleeping on the boppy between us for one stint, and finally back on my chest. We will NOT be making a habit of this as it is not the safest way to sleep, but it's all I could figure out for the night.

He enjoyed his playmat for quire a long time today.
He did this more of the day, probably because he was so tired from staying awake all day yesterday.
It was really hard being all alone with him today, and it's only the 2nd full day he's been home. It kind of feels like since he's been around for 2 1/2 months already, people forget that it's just like bringing home a newborn. Oh well, I'm sure we'll learn this stuff quickly.
Daddy decided to help change him a little later, but he forgot to turn off the fan, so he made a Witten taco and put him on the floor.
Thursday, July 22nd
Today Aunt Katie and cousins Hannah, Mya, and Cole came to see Witten and help me out for a few days. They were just mesmerized by him. Everyone wanted to hold him which was great because it gave me a little time to myself. As you can see, we didn't manage to get his clothes changed between Wednesday and Thursday. It's more trouble with the oxygen cord coming out of the back of his head.
Aunt Katie holding Witten

Mya holding Witten

Hannah holding Witten with Aunt Katie who couldn't take her eyes off of him
Friday, July 23
Today I finally got my first shower since Witten came home. Gross, I know, but you people have had babies...you know how it is! This is the first time I've had help for an extended number of days!
GrandDad also came over to see Witten at home today. He stayed for about a half an hour and just held him. He's got to take care of Great-grandpa Shelfer though, so his visits are never long.

Saturday, July 24th

It was great having Katie and the kids over so that I could get house work done and pump while Mitch did yard work. We also got out Clue and played it as a family. I realized that playing a game while holding a baby is hard work!

Sunday, July 25th

We had every hope of making it to church this morning, but things just didn't work out. We didn't wake up until 7, we both needed showers, Witten still wasn't fed or changed, and somewhere in there, I was going to have to find time to pump. We stayed home and ate muffins instead.

Later, we played another rousing game of Clue, and had to say good-bye to everyone so that they could get back to Austin. The kids were ready to go, but they all wanted to hold Witten for a picture. I won't post all of them, but here's the one of Hannah holding him.

Let me tell you, this was a feat. These kids hate getting their picture taken! It takes an act of congress to get them to cooperate, but they were more than happy to sit and get pictures with Witten. I think it helps that we agreed to let all 3, including Cole who's only 5, hold him.
When everyone left, the boys were zonked. A few minutes after they were gone, this is what I found on my living room floor.
And later, we watched TV while Witten slept off the weekend.

2 comments:

The Brackeens said...

Glad he's finally home!

Peggy Bowyer said...

PRAISE THE LORD! My whole office is so excited and elated for you that you are all finally home together. I love you and am thrilled to know that you can finally settle Witten in to the house and hopefully get creative so you still have time for showers. :) Much love!!!