Saturday, October 08, 2011

State Fair

Last Tuesday, Mitch and I took the day off to take Witten to the fair. This was his second trip, and I think that it was fairly successful again. He stayed pretty happy, only got fussy a couple of times, but was pretty tired by the end because he only napped for about 45 minutes the whole time we were there.

We chose this particular Tuesday because the weather was forecasted to be a beautiful fall day with a high of 79. The week before, we went ahead and took the day off, anticipating a nice day. As the week progressed, the forecast got higher and high. With a high of 84, we figured it was still ok, and stuck with the plan. By the time Monday rolled around though, it was projected to get up to 88, and we weren't as stoked about the weather.

We got there as early as we could after having to sit in construction traffic for a while. On the way in, there was a Wal-Greens right across from the fair grounds, and I decided to have Mitch pull in there so that I could get some extra wipes for the day. When I was in line, the woman in front of me said that if you brought in a Dr. Pepper can, you could get in for $4 instead of $16. I had a free ticket for being a teacher, but I bought a Dr. Pepper so that Mitch could get in for cheaper. We made up for it in parking though. We got up really close in the first lot, but parking has gone up to $15 this year.Our first stop was of course to get some tickets.I love seeing Big Tex. He is such a Texas legend, and I remember when I was little, seeing him every year. I've never actually been on the Farris Wheel, and since there were only 3 of us, and you need 4 to ride, we didn't go again this year. We didn't spend too much time on the Midway, but it's always fun to watch the carnies and see all of the food that's offered. We managed to find someone to take our picture with Big Tex. The sun wasn't very cooperative, but I kind of like the effect anyway. We saw a bit of this before we finally stopped for lunch. He's just about had it. But a foot long hot dog, and all was well in the world again.We tried a lot of different foods. (These are from throughout the whole day!) Mitch tried some Fried Autumn Pumpkin Pie. It was so good that even Witten couldn't stop eating it! I didn't get a picture of it before he tore into it, but he said it looks just like my first fried item of the day. This is Fried S'mores. SOOOO good, but not as good as the Fried Pumpkin Pie. This was our late afternoon snack. Mitch got Fried Salsa which tasted like chips and queso with salsa... and an empenada... and he got me... this chocolaty funnel cake type concoction (I don't remember what they actually called it.) After lunch, Witten helped us find the petting zoo.
I couldn't tear him away from this pen. I don't know which he liked better, the animals or the shovels. He went for every shovel in the building!
The zebras were really fun. Witten did surprisingly well with petting the animals. He only used the shovel to pet one of them. :) Mitch wanted to stop at the train museum, but when we realized that it was going to be another $5 just to walk down the track, we took a picture from the front, he marveled at the size of the wheels, and we went on to other things.
We stopped by the pond to let Witten sleep, and that's where we got our afternoon snack that was mentioned above. When Witten woke up, he couldn't get his head out from under the awning of the stroller. It was really a fun sight. Once he got out, he was happy again. We decided to "paint" a pumpkin on the way out, but realized that the paint was really coloring them with Sharpie, so Mitch showed Witten the trains instead. The pumpkin carver is only there on the weekends, but we still got to see his work. We decided to stop at the carousel to use up some of our remaining tickets, and gave the last two to a family in line. Patented Witten face here. On the way out, we stopped to play one game that was guaranteed a prize. Witten got to choose two fish for $5. We had to wait probably 10 minutes because there was a family with 3 kids that kept playing over and over again. I wanted to be able to get pictures with Witten playing, so I had to wait until they cleared out before Witten could go.

He chose a medium and a small. A medium means that you can get a medium toy, and a small means that you can get a small toy. If you get two mediums, you may upgrade to a large toy. The carnie said that a medium plus a small doesn't upgrade, so she was only going to give us a medium toy, but I told him that he technically got a medium and a small, so she let him get two toys. He dropped his blue dolphin back behind them, but we grabbed it before leaving. All in all, it was a pretty fun day. Unfortunately, Witten DID NOT want to nap in the car, so he screamed most of the way home. That was not the happy end that would would have hoped for, but after all, he was tired from having so much fun!

No comments: