Saturday, January 26, 2013

Mrs. Fix It

We bought these handles back in the fall, and they've been sitting in the garage waiting to be put on.  Although the handles in our house were ugly, it wouldn't have been necessary to replace them except that back in June when I was at the hospital in labor with Reese, Witten locked himself in his room and couldn't get the door unlocked.  Since it was a knob that's supposed to be on an outside door, not an inside door, it didn't have a little spot where you could insert a bobby pin to open it.  My mom had to call my dad to come and help, and he ended up just breaking the handle off. 

Witten slept in this room for about 4-5 months with a round hole in his door, so finally, putting these new handles (which I bought for 1/2 price on Ebay) got moved to the top of our ToDo list (which never seems to get smaller!)  While Mitch was outside taking down the Christmas lights, and yes, it's January 26th and we're just getting them down...trust me...that's been at the top of the ToDo list since the first...we won't get into that...anyway, while Mitch was taking those down, I thought the handles didn't look too daunting, so I decided to tackle them myself. 

The first one, the one for Witten's room, went in quickly and easily, as did the one for his bathroom.  I had to wait to do the one in Reese's room because she was asleep, so I went on to my room.  I couldn't get the old one out though because it was stuck.  Challenge #1!  When Mitch came in later, he got that one out for me and then the new one went in smoothly. 

Meanwhile, while waiting for Reese to wake up and Mitch to take out the one that was stuck, I decided to work on the one in my bathroom.  I got the old handle out just fine, but the hole wasn't where it needed to be for the new one.  Challenge #2!  No biggie, I got the screwdriver and started digging out a hole until it fit.  (You can't see that part because it's inside the door.)  That took about 30 minutes, and my knuckles hurt from being scraped on the door so many times.  Finally though, I got that one in by myself. 

I had the same problem with the one in the playroom (challenge #3), but eventually, I got that one in too.  When Reese woke up and Mitch came inside, I started on her room, only to run into the same problem (challenge #4).  By this time though, I was tired of scraping with the screwdriver, so I asked Mitch if he had any handy dandy tools that could do that part for me.  Of course, he did, and the hole was bigger in a matter of seconds.  Why didn't I just swallow my pride and ask him to begin with?!? 

Anyway, at the end of the process, we got 4 bedroom handles and 2 bathroom handles put on today, and it looks and feels great to finally not have that hanging over our heads...oh, and the Christmas lights are down too!  :)

No comments: