So, I guess you start out every birthday blog with how much you can't believe that your baby is growing up before you very eyes, and you can't stop time try as you may. This one is no different. My "baby" turned 3, and a baby he is not. He has got one of the largest vocabularies I have ever heard from a 3 year old. You would NEVER know that he had a rough start in this world!
We decided to give him a Dr. Seuss themed party because, let's face it, the boy LOVES to read. I couldn't have come up with anything better than this.
Setting up took longer than I had expected, so as a few moms arrived, they helped me finish up while the kids played.
We bought the cake from a bakery down the street, and I was quite disappointed with how it turned out based on the instructions I gave. You can't tell from the pictures, but it's pretty green, and I thought the cat would be neater, and made out of fondant. Oh well, seeing it again, it is pretty cute, and I'm happy with it.
The cupcakes were made by me and my mom. She did the orange flavored cupcakes with blue hair that resembles Thing 1 and Thing 2. I made the chocolate cupcakes with the marshmallow Cat in the Hat hats. They were a huge success. People even liked the orange ones, though they were sceptical. (This has become our favorite flavor since we had it for our wedding cake. It's so refreshing when it's hot outside, and ALL of our celebrations are when it's hot outside!)
I made water bottle labels and tied cute ribbons that matched around the caps. I also bought this bucket from Hobby Lobby, and I LOVE how it turned out!
This is the whole table including ham sandwiches, green eggs (a HUGE hit) fruit, and some green eggs and ham treats made out of pretzels, white melted chocolate, and a green M&M. They were super cute.
This was the gift table, and as a part favor, we let each kid choose a Dr. Seuss book and a homemade Dr. Seuss bookmark (made out of an extra Green Eggs & Ham book we had.)
The food was a big hit, though one or two of the kids weren't as fond of the organic juice because they normally drink super sugared up juice. I think it went over fairly well though.
Here's the whole set up. We had the party at the park down the street from our house. To residents of the VERY small town, the rental was only $15!
I love Witten licking his lips as everyone sang "Happy Birthday" to him! (As a side note, this table was VERY wobbly, and the cupcake stand doesn't hold them well. They just sit on top of each piece of the tree rather than being cradled by it...SO, these cupcakes too a couple of tumbles onto the ground below, but we made do.)
It is standard operating procedure with our friends from church that we don't open presents at the party because the kids lose interest to fast. They would rather play than watch someone open gifts. We took them all home and opened them on his actual birthday instead.
The sandbox was a success though, and I'm glad we ended up on this smaller side of the park because the kids were more contained, it was shadier, and it had the sandbox. We had bought TONS of sandbox toys, so there was plenty for everyone.
We HAVE to get a picture of Witten with Jordan Grimsley every time they are together. These two have been together since before they were born, and are just weeks apart. I love when we get to see them!
These were the best I could get of these two. The party was over, and everyone was tired. We'll try again tomorrow.
This was also the best family picture. We couldn't keep my dad any longer. He needed to get back to my grandparents because they had been alone for about 2 hours already.
Here's Witten's birthday present waiting for him!





















No comments:
Post a Comment