Friday, October 25, 2013

Conversations About Death

My grandpa died this morning around 2am.  On the way to taking Witten to school, I tried to explain what happened.  Here's the conversation:

Me: Do you remember Grandpa Shelfer who lived with GranJan and GranDad? 
Witten: Yeah...Grandpa Shelfer.
Me: Yes.  Well, he died this morning.
Witten: Oh Dear.
Me: Well, when we go visit GranJan and GranDad, he won't be there anymore.  But, do you know where he'll be?  He's going to live with God now.  Isn't that exciting.
Witten: Yeah.  That's really exciting.

After school, we decided to go to my parent's house.  I told him we were going to GranJan's house.  He was happy, and I asked him if he knew who would be there. 

Witten: GranJan, GranDad, and Grandma Shelfer.  But should someone else be there?
Me: Who do you think should also be there?
Witten: Grandpa Shelfer.  But he's not there anymore.
Me: That's right.  What happened to him?
Witten: He died.  That's a little bit sad.
Me: Yeah.  It is, but where is he now?
Witten: In Heaven with Jesus and God! 
Me: Yep.  And someday we'll go to Heaven, and we'll get to see him again.
Witten: That's very happy!

He still has a lot of questions, but I'm so glad that he's done so well with it. 

I have so appreciated the texts from friends who have found out throughout the day.  It's such an amazing feeling to be part of a HUGE family where we all comfort and pray for each other.

No comments: