Sunday, December 08, 2013

Icepocolypse 2013 - 3 Ways of Sledding

Our furnace stopped working in the middle of the night this morning.  At 3am, I got up to do the only thing we get up at 3am to do, and I realized that I was FREEZING.  If you know me at all, you know it takes a lot to make me cold!  I went out to check the temp in the house, and it was down to 60, but it was still set at 68.  I knew something was wrong.  I got Mitch up, and he spent the next two hours trying to figure out what was wrong.  We were also debating calling my cousin in some form or another (his strength of cousiness is under debate...1st cousin once removed...2nd cousin...anyway...a cousin.)  At 5, we checked every one's body temperatures, and all 3 kiddos felt warm.  So, I put an extra quilt on everyone, and we slept well until the kids woke us up around 8ish. 

Tommy, the HVAC cousin, decided to come out, and as soon as we were on our way out to sled, he showed up with his son to save the day.  Well, he had ALREADY saved it because we had power, just not heat, and he had taught Mitch how to manually start it.  It was just going to have to be manually started every time it kicked off, which was doable, but a pain.  Anyway, they showed up, so Mitch and Witten climbed up in the attic to watch them fix the switch.  On their way out, they sanded our driveway for us, which was so thoughtful, but it made sledding a bit hard.  Mitch swept the sand off of an area of the drive so that we could give it a try.  The sand was still a hindrance, but the kids had a blast anyway.  We tried a couple of different methods before the across the street neighbor came over with a sled that she uses as decoration.  Check out of 3 ways of sledding.

Way #1 - Recycle Box Lid
Way #2 - Recycle Box (pretty much a failure)
Way #3 - Decorative Sled (plus GranDad)
 And Witten helped move the sand back into place when we were done.