Sunday, November 05, 2006

My Heros


My dad donated a kidney to my mom August 18, 2005. She was supposed to have the surgery the previous May, but because of something they found the day before the surgery, they put it off. I was sad for my mom, but relieved at the same time because I had a REALLY bad feeling about the surgery that day. What they found turned out to be nothing, and the surgery was rescheduled. When the new date came, I had no fear of it. I knew that that was the right day for the surgery, and I knew that God had saved my mom's life by making the doctors question the previous surgery date. I don't know what the cause would have been, but I don't think that my mom would be here today had the surgery happened on the first date.

A year later, September of 2006, they took out my mom's two old kidney's. They had decided not to do it during the origional procedure because it was too big of a risk to stay in for that long on top of the transplant. While they were inside taking out the kidneys, the doctor saw her appendix. There was nothing visibly wrong with it, but out of habbit, he sqeezed it anyway, kind of like when we see a soft sweater, and have to rub it...just because. When he did so, he felt a clump and decided that it was probably just a kidney stone or something, but rather than giving her the discomfort of having to pass it, he'd just remove the appendix. It went in for routine testing at that point.

The test came back positive for a very agressive form of cancer. They decided that they would have to operate. My mom was devistated. We thought that the September surgery would be the last surgery. Her cancer surgery was on Monday, October 30th. The record time for leaving the hospital was 6 days, which would have gotten her out on Saturday. I told my mom that she was stronger than that, and that she would be out Friday. She doubted and said that NOBODY has ever gotten out in 5 days.

I kept my principal and team updated on the goings on in case anything happened in the classroom. When my dad emailed me on Thursday to say that my mom would tie the record and come home on Friday, I forwarded it to my coworkers. My principal asked if I told my dad that that was unacceptable.

I talked to my mom that afternoon on the way home from work. Mitch and I were planning to go visit her that night, and I wanted to bring her some non-hospital food. She said not to come because she didn't want me to waist the gas. I said that I wanted to see her, and she said I could come see her the next day at home. That's right...my mom got out of the hospital on Friday! She set a new record. She is completly cancer free, and the strongest person I know!

By the way, I'm glad that we didn't go to the hospital that night because I later found out that there were bad accidents on the highway that night, as well as the Maverick's Season Opener, and it would have taken 2-3 hours to get there.

1 comment:

Staci said...

Wow! God is amazing!