Saturday, May 17, 2008

Coupon Clipper

I have finally succumbed to the price increases and have become a coupon clipper. I think it happened when I innocently when in to buy some PAM cooking spray, something that I used to get for about $1.20-$1.50, and would buy about 4 of them because they were so cheap. Anyway, when I got to the cooking spray isle, I just about fainted when my favorite butter flavored spray had jumped to an incredible $4.00 a bottle! That's when it hit me. I started noticing how high all of the other prices were too. I knew milk was increasing, but at $3.50-$4.50 a gallon, I don't know how all of you with so many kids are doing it. We do manage to always find it on sale 2 for $6.00, but that is hardly something to write home about. (Well, that's not entirely true. I often call my mom and tell her where to go for the cheap milk.)

I love my gas guzzling 2005 Chevy Trailblazer. It's the only new car I've ever owned, and it's quite a prize for me. I think one reason I love it so much is because I went from being able to qualify for food stamps (which I never actually went to try to qualify for) to finally having a good job and being able to buy a new car. That meant a lot to me because as most of you know, I grew up quite privileged by most accounts. My dad had a great job, and I was the only child that they had to pay for. When I got to college is when I realized how privileged I was, and I had to start watching what I said around all of my friends who were racking up the student loans and working while studying. Anyway, all this to say that although I love my car, I only drive it to work and back. I drive up and down Sublett every day, passing through 9 stoplights on my short journey to school. I have a 20 gallon tank, and I usually fill up after going about 220-250 miles. That sill wasn't a big deal when we weren't having Wednesday night church for a few months. I could go about 3 weeks on one tank. Now, I only go about a week and a half before I have to fill up again. I noticed that Ford has an Escape that gets 34 miles a gallon city, and 30 highway. I don't want a Ford. I don't trust Ford. But, I am now counting down until Chevy comes out with a Trailblazer hybrid. I know it's got to come in the next couple of years. I mean, they've already come out with a Tahoe hybrid!

Here's my question to you guys. My family has NEVER gotten the newspaper. I know that there's a good coupon day, and I thought that it was Sunday, but I was fairly unimpressed with the Sunday coupons a few weeks ago, and then my mom mentioned that she thought the big coupon day was Thursday. Can any of you guys enlighten me on this matter?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was a big time coupon clipper when we lived in Cali-I had to be! A few tips...don't be disheartened by one bad week of coupons. You need to clip every week and build up a stash. Some weeks are better than others. I always just got the Sunday paper, so I am not sure if Thursday is a bigger coupon day or not.

Have you thought about playing the grocery game? It's awesome! You have to subscribe (I think it's $10 every couple of months). Basically, you choose your store and they tell you what's on sale to correspond with the coupons that are out. It takes a few weeks to see a big difference, but holy cow...once you get your stash of coupons going, the savings are insane! I swear I never had to buy toothpaste because I would get it for FREE with coupons. Amazing stuff.

Another site I used to use was couponmom.com. It's the same idea as the grocery game.

This is almost inspiring me to start couponing again...it takes a lot of time, but the savings are great!