Friday, August 14, 2009

Flaming Pine Family Camp

A couple of weeks ago, Mitch and I flew up to MN to go to family camp with his parents, Katie, and her 3 kids. We had a lot of fun. The two girls stayed in camper cabins, while the rest of us stayed together in a VERY OLD mobile home. I had forgotten how bad mosquitoes can be when you're out in nature, and I had never really had a problem with them before, but apparently I'm not getting enough vitamin B, so they just swarmed around me!

It took us about 4 1/2-5 hours to get there from Loren and Bev's house, so we played games to pass the time. Bev had one travel bingo card, and so we looked for the things on it before I decided that we should come up with our own travel bingo game. So, Bev gave us each our own notepad, and we came up with things to put on our bingo boards. Since we were each filling in our own, nobody had the same things in the same spot. It was a lot of fun. We made a more challenging version for the car ride home and played blackout with it. Whoever saw the item first had to call it out, show it to someone else, then they were the only one who could mark it off. By the end of the trip, we all had 1+ blanks left (everyone was missing road kill because they don't have it in MN apparently!)

I think if you click on all of the collages, you can see the pictures bigger. This is the first day we arrived at camp. We got Hannah set up in her cabin, and we all settled in to the camper. Mya had not yet decided to stay in a cabin.

On day two, we had a lot of free time, so we went to crafts with Mya where she made a hat for silly hat day, and then we watch Cole play on the playground.
Because there were families at camp, there were lots of young kids, so while the campers played capture the flag on Monday night, they had a campfire for the younger kids, and they roasted marshmallows.On Tuesday we were signed up to do dishes at lunch, and Wednesday we were signed up to cook dinner. I didn't put any pictures of dishes in this collage, but here are some pictures from those two days. If you click on it, you can see Cole helping us make biscuits and then serve them at dinner.It was fairly cool most of the days we were there, so Cole had not been able to get in the water because Katie had to take him, and it was a bit cold for swimming in a lake. He was quite upset about this, so after we packed up the van on Thursday (we had to get home to get ready for the anniversary party), Loren and Mitch took Cole out in a canoe. He had so much fun!
While the boys were out on the canoe, the girls went looking for turtles. They didn't find any turtles, but they did find a lot of snails. Hannah has them all lined up in the top right picture.
As we were leaving, we had a guy who was fishing take a family picture of everyone. All in all, it was a fun week!

I'm seeing lots of goose eggs at the bottom of my posts lately...please comment so I know you're still out there and I'm not just talking to myself!

5 comments:

Justin G. said...

I'm reading it!

Ledbetter Fam said...

That looks like a lot of fun! Were you with other families you knew, or was this just a special set up for families to camp at? It seems like a fun place.

JB

The Brackeens said...

How did you do those collages? Looks like a blast!

Rebecca said...

Jennifer - I used Picasa.

Staci said...

I love the last picture. That's a framer!