Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Conversation with a Former Student

Few people will ever have the blessing of having this conversation with a teenager...it's one of the things that makes my job worth it to get up and go to every morning.

Student:
I miss you :(
Me:
I miss you guys too...
Student:
I feel weird not being in seventh grade anymore. :(
Me:
yeah...it'll be like that for a while, then you'll forget about 7th grade, and love 8th
Student:
Probably. But 7th grade was sooo fun!
Me:
I'm glad that you liked it
Student:
I want to come back.
Me:
Just remember that every new year brings not only new challenges, but also new friends and fun experiences. Spend this year enjoying it for what it is, and not focusing on what you miss. It's ok to miss the past...I miss a lot of things about being younger, but if you think about it too much, you'll miss out on new things.
And, for one more year, you can pass by us everyday to say hello if you want to.
Student:
I'm trying to have fun and enjoy eighth grade. My classes are all fun and the teachers are all nice but it just isn't the same. It just feels so...idk different. It didn't hit me until just now and I was enjoying school until now. Ugh. I don't know why I'm like this.
Me:
I'm sorry to say this, but it's biological...this happens at your age...emotions change at the drop of a hat...it's annoying, irritating at times, and quite confusing, but this too shall pass (to quote some famous person that I don't know)
Student:
I know it will. It's just...I feel like something is missing. I just wish I could put last year on repeat and live it forever.
Me:
I know the feeling...there'll be many times throughout your life that you feel that way...there are still times that I'm sad about college being over...I miss playing in the sandbox in kindergarten...I would love to go back to Africa and relive my semester there...that's what's great about growing up...you miss old times, but if I lived forever in the kindergarten sandbox, I wouldn't have experienced college, or the amazing time in Africa...I would have never traveled Europe, or been able to teach your smiling, happy face...
Student:
You're right. I didn't want to leave elementary school, then I came to Ousley and I loved it even more. I guess I've had my turn and it's other peoples turn to experience the wonderfulness seventh grade. Eighth grade is fun too, it's just different. I don't adjust to change well, but I bet I'll be fine in a few weeks.
Me:
yeah, and it's good practice for when you get older and have to make big changes...and, you've got a leg up on people my age because you have wonderful social sites like facebook to help you keep connected to anyone that you want to...I have a hard time hunting down old teachers and friends that I want to say hi to, but here, you've already made the connections, and now you'll be able to send us life changing updates whenever you want
Student:
Yeah, I love facebook. :)
Me:
it is a good thing. I hope you're feeling better now...feel free to stop in and say hi...I'm going to go read for a little while before I get to sleep
have a good night
Student:
Thanks for talking to me. It helped a lot. Goodnight.

3 comments:

suzspeaks said...

that's really awesome!!!

Gena said...

The best part of teaching for sure!

Staci said...

That's so cool that your student opened up to you like that!

I had to laugh at the conversation you had with the kids after the rules!