Friday, June 20, 2014

Road Trip Day 7

We're on our way home now, but not before another stop in Chicago.  This time, we're checking out the Field Museum.  I was surprised when we found the parking garage because it's for the museum, the foot ball stadium and one more big event that I can't remember.  Anyway, I'm not used to seeing that.  It was also $25 to park in this place too.

There was an armed forces memorial just outside of the parking garage that the kids enjoyed looking at. 
The museum is beautiful.  I love the architecture.  They were offering many different types of passes, but we only had a couple of hours before we needed to get on the road, so we just bought general admission.  It got us to the two things I wanted to see the most.  
These are just inside the ticket window.  They are so big and beautiful. 
This guy, however, was why we came.  I can't believe that these things really walked on this earth!


These two were my other reason for wanting to come.  I've watched The Ghost and the Darkness countless times, and I've always wanted to see the real lions of Tsavo.  I was surprised by how small they really were.  They were a little bigger than this when they were alive, but not much.  Some of their fur had been destroyed, so they used what they could salvage to fix them back up for the museum.  These were the man-eaters though.  
The kids thought all of the different animals were so cool. 
There was one display that looked like a whole African safari.  I guess I didn't get a picture of that one though. 
After a stop in the gift shop, it was time to head to our next hotel in Kansas City.  We have a big surprise for the kids tomorrow before we finish the trip home!

No comments: