Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Parents Meet the Parents


THe day finally came for the two sets of parents to meet eachother. My parents had to go to second service for the month of June, so it worked out perfectly for us to meet them at church because the drive was kind of far. (I had to drive 20 minutes to Mitch's house to pick up him and his parents before making the second 20 minute trek to Pleasant Ridge.) It turns out the his mom called the PR office last week. My mom answered the phone, so they actually got to talk before they met. I thought that was kind of funny.

We arrived at PRCC at about 10am and service didn't start until 10:20, so we waited out in the foyer until class let out. As we were walking in, my dad grabbed Mitch and had him help take a podium out. My mom was reduced to sitting during the entire service, even during the stand and sing part, so the introductions were a little awkward. (She blew out her knee on the way to Mexico and is now in a removable cast that I don't think she wears as often as she should.) Service was good, and I think that the Terlisner's enjoyed it. Mark was funny as usual, which made a good impression.

We went back to the house for dinner, where my mom had made some sort of chicken fajita casserole. I was expecting actual fajita's, and this caused some hurt feelings later in the day, but it was pretty good anyway, and Mitch's family seemed to like it. (I had chosen TexMex because they're from MN and I didn't know how much TexMex they had up there.) We also had huge hommade peanut butter cups. I think we'll try a different way to make them next time. They were WAY too rich, but very good!

After lunch, we went into the living room and talked for quite a while. I would say it was at least 2 hours, maybe closer to 3. Mitch and I napped on the chair, and interjected a comment here and there to be part of the conversation, but mostly we listened with our eyes closed. The 'rents seemed to get along great. Then it was time for Rummy. That's where everyone's true colors came out. It was SO much fun. Everyone was really relaxed and joked around and just had a great time. It was all that I could have hoped for.

We passed on dinner at 6pm, and I took Mitch and the fam back to his apartment where we ate frozen pizza. It was a great day!

1 comment:

suzspeaks said...

I'm glad the meeting turned out well for you!!