Monday, August 18, 2008

From Mexico to Jr. High

In an effort to save exactly $140 before taking money out for gas, I booked our plane tickets out of Austin instead of Dallas thinking how much fun it would be to visit with Katie and Mark for a night before leaving the next morning. The way to Mexico wasn't too bad. Katie dropped us off at about 6:45am, we flew to Phoenix, sat there for a few hours, then flew to Cobo.

Cobo was fine, although I wouldn't recommend it as a favorite relaxing destination. When you pile the fact that they basted expletive ridden songs (songs that I've heard over and over in the states and apparently never know the REAL words too because of our censoring), on top of scorching hot days, the inability to swim in the ocean due to the fierce waves on the pacific side, and the "event planners" who wouldn't take no for an answer when you said that you wanted to relax on the chair by the pool rather than participating in a drinking game in the form of water volleyball, golf, or beer pong, it just makes for a loud week. The one day with a perfect breeze was so nice. There were places down by the ocean where you could sit under a thatched roof cabana thingy, and just read. I made it most of the way through the final book of the Twilight series. It was really a lot of fun when all of our friends showed up on Thursday, although I got VERY sick that night, and didn't get to eat dinner with them, or go to the hilarious pirate show. I managed to see every night of the Olympics but Saturday and Sunday, and am catching up on those as I write this post.

Yesterday was the real kicker. We left the hotel at 10am and flew to Denver. We then flew to Austin and landed at 8:30, where we found our car that my sister and brother-in-law so lovingly left for us at the airport. 3 hours later, we walked through the front door and played with the dogs while we wound down for an hour. That put me going to bed at 1am after losing a lot of sleep last night, and then getting up early this morning for my first day of inservice. It wasn't bad, a lot of meetings and such, but I was pretty tired, especially after dinner because the first 2 days of school are 11 hour days, from 8am to 7pm.

No comments: