Friday, May 26, 2006

School's Out!

Yea!!! School's out...

I can't express how excited I am to have a couple of months off. (Well, out of school anyway.) Dr. Bridgwater will be ripping my wisdom teeth out of my head on Tuesday. That should be loads of fun! Wednesday, I may go to a class for 6 hours to get GT credit for next year. (I have to get 30 hours.) I will take Thursday and Friday off, and then Monday through Thursday next week and then I'll leave for Mexico shortly after that. It's a busy summer, but it should be fun.

The last few days of school have been crazy. I found myself running in circles, and accomplishing nothing. I would run to the office to do something, only to realize that I had other stuff in my classroom, across the building, that also needed to go to the office. I helped the department head confiscate things from a teacher who had been canned. I tried in vain for quite a while to clean my room, and finally finished it late this afternoon. (My room is very clean, as I am now considered the most anal of all people in our school.) I can't imagine how long it will take the rest of the faculty to finish cleaning! I don't wish to be them at this moment! I thought I'd be done by the end of our contract day on Wednesday. (The kids got out at 12:00 on Wed. and Thurs. and we worked until 4:10.) Boy was I wrong! Nearly 48 hours later, I was finally finished.

That leaves the curriculum. I have somehow gotten into the head of our department head, and now we are rewriting everything. I have almost finished writing the warm-ups for the year. That covers about 5 minutes of every class period. Now, what to do with the last 40! That's the question. It should be a fun summer. No, really. I am very excited to rework everything and see how it works next year.

Try this out...NO HOMEWORK! Yeah right you say? Believe it! We will not be assigning homework next year. What would you have done to hear a teacher say that to you?!? Well, there are of course some catches. A few stipulations. A way out if it doesn't work. But for the most part, no homework. I'm excited to see how that's going to work, but if it fails miserably, I'm the one responsible. Oh well...at least we can say we tried.

I'm going to go for now. My thoughts are jumbled, and don't really seem to be going together right now. Sorry if this was choppy. I'm heading to Troy with some friends for the weekend. I'll write more later.

1 comment:

Staci said...

Congrats on the end of a school year! Sounds like you still have lots of work ahead of you.