Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Toothless in Dallas...

I've had my wisdom teeth since I was 18. They have been fully in since that time. That's 7ish years (as you will see in my profile, I only claim the age of 25ish, and NO more!) A couple of years ago, I noticed a sensitivity to cold food and drink, but didn't think anything of it. Then, I began to notice that when I ate sweet foods, my wisdom teeth hurt.

Last December, I cracked my tooth at school, and made an appointment with Dr. Bridgwater. My fears were confirmed. I had cavities in all 4 wisdom teeth, but not only that, they had spread to the molars beside each wisdom tooth. There went that perfect record of having NO cavities, or anything else, wrong with my mouth. I had to wait until my insurance kicked in in January to make an appointment, and then decided that the week after school got out would be the best. David put a temporary filling in at that time, and sent me on my way. That filling came out about 6 weeks ago, but I was assured that it would be alright for me to wait until now to get the teeth pulled.

That brings us to yesterday. (Due to prolems with blogger, I had to wait until today to post this.) I went to David's office where he shot me up full of good numbing agents, and I awaited my fate. The first tooth was launched into the back of my mouth, and I luckily caught it with my numb tounge, and got it in a place where he could get it out for me. After that, he relied on the pliers to pull the rest. The next two teeth were a breese, as was the first, only taking a minute or two for each one. Besides the gross sound, and the pulling in my mouth, it wasn't too bad. Then came the tooth that had already decayed so much that it was falling apart.

David numbed me 3 times in that area, but it just wasn't working. I sucked it up, and he worked 5 times as long on that tooth as he had on the other 3. After 10 or 15 minutes, it came out. I was SO glad to be rid of it. It really wasn't bad. The sounds were gross, and I could definitely feel it, but I'm tough. I didn't even take the pain medicine.

Here I am 24 hours afer the procedure, and the two upper holes have already begun to heal over. The bottom two still seem to be bottomless pits that like to house leftovers. That's kind of disgusting to get out, but I'm managing. Lots of low fat ice cream is on the menu until those holes seal! YUM!!!

2 comments:

Staci said...

Yummy! Who wouldn't love being on a diet of ice cream!!!

suzspeaks said...

OHH I hope you're feeling better soon!