Monday, March 17, 2008

The First Two Days

We left from Dallas on Saturday evening to fly to New York. This was supposed to be a short one hour layover that turned sour. Their was another flight with a lot of connections to take our flight to London, so we had to wait on them for an extra hour. This put us in to Heathrow an hour late which was a problem because we only had one and a half hours to make our connection to Munich. Our only hope was that that flight was late.

We had been told twice in the states that we were going to have to claim our baggage in London and then recheck it after we went through customs. This was going to greatly cut into our 1/2 hour that we had to make our flight after coming in an hour late. Well, it took us 1/2 an hour to cross the airport. Then, we were told that we did not have to get our bags, so we booked it to check- in. We got there about 20 minutes after our flight was scheduled to depart, but saw that it was still boarding, so the woman gave us our boarding passes, and it was on. At first we speed walked through the airport, but as we rounded the corner to our desired gate, we heard, Last call for flight... the flight is closing. We with a few other passangers started running. One guy was shouting...Wait, we're coming! (Sorry , I can't find the quotation marks on the German keyboard.) We made it just in time, and took our seats, only to wait on the tarmac for another half hour due to the weather.

We finally landed and picked up our rent car. Now, you only rent standards in Europe, and I can't drive a standard, so this made me a navigator. We stalled multiple times just trying to leave the parking garage, then a few more on the road, including once on the highway when we almost hit the car in front of us. After this, Mitch got more used to the stick, and we only stalled a couple of times.

I, the navigator, couldn't figure out the map that my parents gave us, so we took the scenic route around the entire city before getting directions in broken English from a couple at a rest stop. They got us going the right direction, and we had to stop one more time for more directions. After just over two hours (I'm pretty sure the hotel was only about 30 minutes from the airport) we got there are parked.

We are right in the center of Munich, and have a beautiful view out of one of our windows. I'll have to post pictures when we get home.

Today, Monday, has been very rainy. I'm not sure how the pictures are going to turn out since we got rain on the lense a few times while looking up at the gGlockenspeil.

We are on our way to the Hoffbrauhaus in a few minutes after we got back one more time to check on the luggage that BritishAirways.com has just confirmed is on its way. We'll see if it makes it to us or not!

1 comment:

Ledbetter Fam said...

I'm a little jealous of you!!! I want to go to Germany again. Mostly because I want to see my "brother" Marcus, Julia, and their kids.

JB