Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Jude

I took Jude to the vet this morning because his nose has been looking even worse for the past few months, and last weekend, his breathing started being labored. I stayed up all night on night just listening to him breath to make sure that he didn't stop.

She called during my 2nd period and told me that he has auto immune disease, which they've thought since he was a puppy, but it never showed up in blood work. He could live for less than a year, or he could live for 7 more years. It all depends on how he reacts to the medicine that we are going to have to give him.

I'm guessing this is a lot of the reason that he's fought Lucy for the past year. He just doesn't feel well. I hope that the medicine will make him more active. I'm guess that if he keeps laying around the way that he does, he's not going to live for the 7 years that he otherwise might be able to.

As many of you know, I've had Jude since the day I officially moved out on my own. I moved my last box from the campus apartments to my own apartment, went to get dinner, and then picked Jude up to take him home. (I had bought him 2 months prior, but couldn't have him on campus.) He has been with me ever since, and this is really hard on me. I know the day is going to come eventually when he dies, but at 8 years old, I'm not ready for that.

2 comments:

suzspeaks said...

Poor Jude. I like him. I'm so sorry...enjoy the time you have!

Ledbetter Fam said...

I'm so sorry, Becky. I hope that the medicine works well for Jude and that he has several more years with you.

JB