If you haven't seen I am Legend yet, and plan on watching it, do not read any further in this blog.We watched I am Legend on Friday night. It came in the mail on Friday afternoon, and I was so excited to pop it into the DVD player. We were all ready with our chocolate and Dr. Pepper. I was pretty into it in the beginning, but the longer it ran, and the more intense it got, the more I just needed it to end ASAP.
It was depressing enough that he was alone with his dog, but when he has to kill his dog an hour into the movie, I LOST IT! I mean, seriously...it was like JBs what, 10h b-day party when we all watched Steel Magnolias, only I didn't cry in that one. No...I cry when the dog dies. I literally cried until the movie was over, and then again after the movie when we talked about it. I kept thinking about Jude, and how when I was out on my own officially, he was all I had, and we were fighting to survive (maybe not in the same sense, but if you knew what I went through after college, you'd understand.)
When I got back to school after watching I am Legend and told the other teachers about crying over the dead dog, they got onto me, and seemed annoyed that the fact that the entire human race was wiped out didn't upset me, but the dog dying did.
I have always been like this. We watched Atonement last weekend, and I bawled when they shot some horses (a relatively insignificant scene that most people wouldn't even remember.)
I have realized something about myself as I've gotten older. I am not a terribly sympathetic person. I believe for the most part that we are the cause of our own situations. I know that there are plenty of extenuating circumstance, but when you can change your own destiny, I have no sympathy for your current state. For example, a kid doesn't do his homework, doesn't study for his tests, and doesn't listen in class, but he is furious, and his parents get onto me when he fails. No sympathy. Another kid's father just died. His mother is not handling it well. He is put in charge of his younger siblings, and he has to care for mom too. All of this on top of 7 subjects in Jr. High, and all he wants to do is make it to the next day. Now, this is something I can work with.
Anyway, I digress...back to the movie...if you have an extra soft place in your heart for animals, and get totally stressed out by the suspense of a movie, I DO NOT recommend I am Legend!
1 comment:
I also cried hysterically during that part...and even though we have a dog now, I have never been a real dog person. That part was SO sad. His best friend...all he had in the entire world...the last reminder of his life with his wife and daughter...so sad!
Post a Comment