Monday, May 21, 2012

Oh No...Not Again!

Yesterday, I was beginning to feel very swollen at church.  When I got home, I took my blood pressure on a store bought cuff, and it was pretty high.  I kept an eye on it all day, and decided to call the doctor about it in the morning because it was reading about 168/98.

I got in to work this morning in time to get ready for my classes, and stopped by the AP's office to find out what the substitute situation was today since it's been so hard to get subs who will actually show up lately.  She said that we were down 2 so far, and I explained about my BP, and told her that I would try to get an appointment to see my doctor during my conference period.  As soon as my 1st period started, the nurse called me and said that since the doctor was out for the morning, she wanted me to go immediately to the Women's Center ER.  It was deja vu.  This is what happened with Witten, and although I was feeling fine, and was much farther along, I was still a littler nervous.

After multiple perfect BP readings, and one high one right after I was admitted, we all thought I would be heading home in just a couple of hours.  Unfortunately, they hooked me up to the paddles that monitor the baby, and I moved a few times, causing two instances where it showed a bad reading.  Since they weren't sure why there was a bad reading, the admitted me.  I spent the rest of the afternoon with the paddles on me, but not really monitoring anything because Reese still had plenty of room to move around and get away from them. 

They called in a specialist, who I saw when I had Witten, to do a sonogram and make sure everything was good and we didn't need to deliver.  Last time I was with him, it didn't go so well.  This time, he said the baby was perfect, and there was no reason to deliver today.  They decided to move me out of labor and delivery, but they wanted to keep the paddles on my that weren't working. 

Eventually, the nurses changed shifts, and I convinced the night nurse to get a hold of the doctor and ask him if we could take the paddles off since everything came back fine, they had gotten the readings they needed, and there was NO WAY I was going to be able to sleep while they were on.  He said yes which got those off as well as the annoying finger pulse monitor. 

I was glad to get disconnected from two of my cords for the night.  They will need to monitor me for a few minutes in the morning, but I can handle that!

Witten came to visit me after school.  He was a little freaked out.  My curtain was mostly closed, so he couldn't see me when he walked in.  He heard me call to him, laid down on the floor, and started crying.  Finally, my mom got him up, and he came around the corner where he could see me.  We sat him up on the bed a little, but he wanted to snuggle which was difficult with everything they had me hooked up to at the time.  We did snap a couple of pictures though.
I was really glad to get to see him, and equally glad to have my parents so close by so that he could stay with them over night and Mitch could stay with me.


No comments: