Saturday, May 19, 2012

Country Living

Living in the country has had it's perks!  I have NEVER heard a siren or screeching tires in the three and a half years we've been here.  It's so quiet and beautiful out here, and I love it.
What we didn't realize when we got here was that we would become our own recycling service. Since we have to hire our own trash company out here, everyone gets to choose their own, and that means that no company has enough customers willing to recycle to make the expense of the trucks and man power worth it. When we realized how much recycling we accumulate, we decided to keep up the habit, which meant that every couple of months we would fill up the back of my SUV and take it out to the recycling center.

Here is our second to the last trip. (We will make one last run on Friday or Saturday this week probably.)

Mitch keeps it all very organized.  I just throw it in a box, so he is in charge of taking it from the house to the garage.  He makes sure that it's as condensed as possible.  That small box is one of the boxes of junk mail!

I AM NOT going to miss this string of milk jugs that makes it hard to get Witten out of the car when we let it go too long without taking the recycling out.  (This particular trip, we had to leave some behind because it had been so long that it wouldn't all fit!)
I have to admit, I am looking forward to someone else coming to pick up our recycling EVERY WEEK, but I am proud of us for keeping it up on our own for so long.

2 comments:

The Brackeens said...

I am proud of you, too!!! We put out more recycle than trash, but it's only to the curb. Good for you!!!

Rebecca said...

Jennifer - We were so surprised that we only used about 1 trashbag a week when we recycled everything we could. Many weeks, we don't even take our trash bin out to the curb because it's only got one bag in it.