I work at a thankless job many times. Kids want to know why I'm picking on them...parents want to know why I gave their child a failing grade...the office wants to know what else I'm going to do on top of the one page, single-spaced list of things I'm already doing to help my kids be successful. Most of the time, there's no thank you, no good job, no card, or teachery coffee mug for Christmas. And for the most part, I'm fine with that. I know that I'm doing what I think is best for the kids. I know that they'll appreciate me more next year, once we're not stuck with each other everyday. I know that I don't need another coffee mug to clutter up my already too full cabinet.
My ultimate goal is not to get my pre-AP class to be the top in the state. Yes, I work towards that, and yes, I'm very proud each year for our amazing ranking. My goal isn't to get every kid to pass the TAKS test. Sure, I work my tail off offering extra tutoring time, and coming up with new fun and exciting lessons that will help my kids better understand how to pass the TAKS. Of course I want a 100% passing rate. But, that's not my goal.
My ultimate goal in teaching is to touch that one kid a year who thinks that nobody cares for them, and let them know that they are wrong. I did it my very first year, when I was simply a long-term sub. Another teacher in a long string of teachers that my kids had worked with that year. I had a boy who was in and out of various homes because much of his family was in prison. During our poetry unit, I realized that that boy could write. I worked with him during my conference period everyday to help him pass, and bought him a leather journal to write in when he needed to get his feelings out. The following year, he was gone. I heard that he went to live with his sister. I don't know what's become of him, but I hope that he's one of my success stories. I still think about him sometimes, and I wonder if he will be walking across the stage in his cap and gown soon.
A couple of years later, I had a girl who REALLY needed some TLC. She was a big girl, and I wrote her up the first week of school for "stabbing" a boy in the arm with a pencil. Later on in the year, I realized that it probably didn't do any real damage, and the boy probably deserved it. I spent all year working with her. Teaching her how to manage her anger. I accepted her into Student Council, not because we needed her, but because she needed us. I waived the rule about having to make a B in all subjects every six weeks, and allowed her to stay even when she failed. The summer after 7th grade, she got kicked out of her aunt's house, and had to move back up to Chicago to live with her grandma. For two years she called me and emailed me quite frequently. At first, she only called my school phone, but when summer came around, and it became harder for her to get a hold of me, I gave her my cell phone number. This year, she got to move back to Arlington. She's doing so much better, and she wants to be a lawyer. She doesn't need to talk to me anymore, and although I miss that, I'm so proud of her for making it through her sophomore year, and I know that she's going to be something.
This year has been the hardest on me. I had a student in the foster system who was taken form her foster home a week ago. She had to stay in the office all day her last day of school because she was on suicide watch. We each took turns going to check on her during our conference periods, and I was broken hearted by our conversation. I kept telling her how much I loved her, and how hurt I would be if she hurt herself. I told her that we all loved her, and she asked how someone could love her after all the things she's done. I told her that I've done so many terrible things in my life, and although on an earthly scale, they don't seem to compare, I was forgiven, and God still loved me. I didn't give her the most eloquent speech. I'm not good at knowing how to bring my faith up, but I did tell her that there is something so much bigger out there, and maybe it was time for her to seek that. We talked a little about religion, then moved on to goofier topics. By the time I left, she was smiling and laughing, and I thought she was going to be ok. Today, I found out she attempted suicide again when she got moved to the new foster home. She's okay now, and has been placed back in her old home. They decided that that was best for her. What really made my day was when one of the teachers told me that this student wanted to go to church, and has asked her faoster family to start taking her. Her foster parents don't go anymore, but they want her to be Baptist because that's what they are. She's not down with the whole idea of going to their church because it's too conservative. I'm not sure if and how I'll be a part of this, but I am just so excited that this is something that she wants to be a part of. I have faith now that she's going to be ok, and that God is watching over her as I have been praying for him to do.
These are the stories that keep me coming back every year. I can do without the angry parents, honoree kids, and pushy administration. What I can't pass up is the opportunity to really make a difference in someone's life. Someone who's never really been given the chance.
3 comments:
That gives me chills, Becky. You truly know what it is to be a teacher and influence the kids you can. It may only be a handful in your lifetime, but only one would be an incredible success story. Keep it up!
I'm proud of you!
JB
Thank you for making a difference!
Post a Comment