Monday, October 04, 2010

Texas State Fair 2010

We took Witten on his first trip to the State Fair yesterday. It was a beautiful day to be out, and we were able to meet up with Mitch's college roommate, his wife, and twin boys. They were also born at 28 1/2 weeks, so we had a lot to talk about. One of the boys LOVED Witten. He wanted to touch his feet (his parents didn't want him touching Witten at all because they wanted to be extra cautious, so I said he could touch his feet), or grab onto the stroller the whole time. It was so cute.
We pretty much are our way through the fair. We started with corny dogs for lunch, then I got a caramel apple while mitch got a chocolate covered nutty ice cream bar. Later we split fried cheesecake and a stick of fried caramel (which I only ate one bite of). For dinner, I had another corny dog (maily because I hadn't gotten a picture the first time, and I really wanted one for the blog...at least I didn't buy a 2nd caramel apple for it!), and Mitch had sausage on a stick. Finally, we had funnel cake. I asked for cherry, but Mitch went to a different vendor than the one I had seen, so we ended up with chocolate. I wasn't a fan, so I only had 2 bites. I guess that was probably best though...we ate A LOT!
We got there around lunch time, and after taking an hour to park and get in, we got food and started walking around. There were lots of things we wanted to look at. We started by going through the green house and watching the pumpkin carver for a few minutes. It was pretty cool, and I liked seeing how he let the shape of the pumpkin inspire his art.
Then we went to the Taste of Texas where they handed out free samples of various foods. I tried some bbq chicken, a cheese quesadilla, and a chip with some "dessert" salsa that was too applesauce tasting (and it had that weird texture too) for my taste. We went through the shop in the middle of the food and wine pavilion, and got a few things for back home.
We started heading back to meet up with Jared and Theresa at the pirate diving show. The sun was in the wrong spot, so I didn't take any pictures of that. It wasn't really very noteworthy, but the boys loved it.
We headed out to see Big Tex and get a family picture taken.
While we were with them, we stopped for a rest and were right by the football museum where they had a History of Football display as well as a Tribute to Tom Landry exhibit. They were playing some classical music that we couldn't hear, but we sure did hear the cannon go off just yards away from us. It scared all three boys which was no fun. After going off a second time, Mitch went to ask the cop standing nearby how many more times it was going to happen. He said it was over which we were all thankful for.
We said our goodbyes, and Mitch and I headed to the museum to find that the line was really long. He wanted to stay in line because he knew that I was really interested in it. I wasn't interested enough to stand in line at 6pm. It was getting late and I was getting tired. There was a place where kids could get their picture taken as Dallas Cowboys. Unfortunately, Roy Williams was the only option. Oh well...everyone thought it was so cute when Witten went up there.We stopped to eat and look for a souvenir for Witten (which we never found.) Then, we headed home.
I felt so gross when we got home that I jumped in the shower immediately to wash the carnie off of me. Then I woke up Witten and bathed him (which he was NOT happy about.) I took EVERYTHING he brought and threw it into the wash. Even his nook had to be sterilized.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got some fun pics. By far, my favorite, though is the second to last one: the one where he is wrapped in a towel. So cute!

-Julie

Emily said...

We are going to the Texas fair this weekend, and seeing your post with all the pics made me so excited to go. Looks like you guys really had fun!

Peggy Bowyer said...

I just love being able to keep up with you on your blog and see pictures of you and your precious family! You look so happy and Witten is the cutest!!!

Staci said...

That food looked so good! I'm sorry to say that I don't think we'll make it to the fair this year :(

Gena said...

He is such a beautiful baby! I can't believe how he's grown.