Saturday, July 21, 2012

A Small Victory

Witten has made it clear that he really has NO interest in using the big boy potty yet.  He will get on it occasionally, but never to avoid his diaper, mainly because he just wants to sit on it. 

I have been telling him for weeks to stop pooping in his diaper because it's getting too hard to clean him up, and he's making a big mess.  Today, he's on his THIRD dirty diaper, and it's only lunch time.  I had had all that I could take, so Mitch and I left him in his high chair to eat with a dirty diaper.  He was squirming and trying to stand and fussing and saying, "Witten needs a diaper change."  (Yes, my son refers to himself in the third person.  We're working on that too!)  We talked about how Mommy and Daddy wear big boy and big girl underwear because we both use the big potty, and don't go poop in our pants.  I asked him where Mommy goes, and he said, "In the big potty."  I asked him wear Daddy goes, and he said, "In the big potty."  Then I asked him where Witten should go, and he said, "In the big potty." 

This is a victory in our house because anytime I ask him where he should go to the potty, he very emphatically tells me, "In my diaper!"  I know that this doesn't mean that he actually WILL use the potty when he needs to poop, but it at least proves that he is now very uncomfortable when his diaper is dirty, and he will hopefully want to stop feeling that way soon. 

By the way, once he said that he SHOULD go on the big potty, we went ahead and changed him instead of making him continue to squirm.

No comments: