Saturday, July 14, 2012

Stuck in a Tight Spot

Mitch's parents are leaving to go back to MN tomorrow after church, so today was the last day of slave labor we were going to get out of them. They spent the entire day outside doing many different chores that needed to get done, and they we gracious enough to let Witten come out and help them for most of the day. (I stayed in and took care of Reese...someone had to do it!)

I decided it would be fun to put the new patio furniture together, grill burgers, and go for a swim in the pool since everyone was so hot and sweaty.

I even got to run to the grocery store ALONE. It was nice to get out on my own for a while, so I went to Tom Thumb and filled up my cart with the necessities for dinner, along with a few other things we "needed". When I went to check out, the lines were all pretty short, so I got in the closest one, and began unloading my cart. When I was getting ready to pay, I realized that I didn't have my normal means of payment.  You see, I haven't been kidless since Reese was born, and I've had to get used to carrying the diaper bag around again.  I moved my drivers license and my credit card over to the diaper bag the first time we went out because I took Reese to the doctor, and I would need those items.  Then, I needed to deposit checks a couple of days ago, so I moved my check card over too.  After almost an hour in the grocery store, and a FULL cart later, I was checking out and realized I had NOTHING!  I looked in my purse and noticed that I still had my checkbook, so I asked the kid who was checking me out if I could write a check without my DL.  He said it might work, so we tried.  He tried for quite some time to get my check to go through, but it wouldn't.  The line was starting to stack up behind me, so he sent me over to customer service.  They of course couldn't take my check without my DL, so I asked if I could give him my credit card number and just have him key it in.  I thought that since I know my number, my billing zip code, and the security number on the back, it shouldn't be a problem.  Well, it was. Dejected, I left the cart in front of customer service and headed back home. 

By the time I got there, I was about ready to cry.  We were supposed to go swimming tonight and grill burgers, but we had no meat or sides, and I wasn't in the mood to head all the way back out to the store.  I just went inside and fed Reese.

While I was in there, Loren came in to get my camera so that he could snap some pictures of Witten helping them put together our new patio furniture. 
Mitch came in a few minutes later and when I almost started crying again (post-pregnncy hormones I'm sure), he got a short list from me and ran back to Tom Thumb. 

Eventually, we had some mediocre pre-made burger patties, I much prefer to make my own, and swam in the pool for a while, which was a great relief to everyone who had been working so hard all day outside!

No comments: