Monday, September 03, 2012

Potty Diaries Day 1

Witten did great with pooing on the potty, although he's been doing that for a week or more at this point.  However, the peeing is a different story.  He had one accident this afternoon before nap time, so we put him on the potty where he was able to go more.  Then, we made him get a towel and clean up the mess he made on the floor and put his undies and the towel in the laundry room.  A little while later, he started to pee on the floor again.  I yelled, "Witten," and he stopped immediately.  He took of his undies, grabbed a towel, cleaned up his mess, then went to the potty to finish the job.  Based on the fact that he was able to stop himself and hold it until he was done, I feel confident that he is ready for this.  That, and he's finally been acknowledging lately that he should be going in the potty and not in his diaper.

At nap time, I put a pull up on him.  He just doesn't have enough control yet to go for it at nap time.  I may try in a week or two when he has shown that he can consistently go all day without accidents.  (I hope I'm not being over-zealous by thinking that'll happen in a week or two...I just have no idea.) 

After nap time, he went to the potty and then made it a while without an accident.  All of a sudden, they were just one right after another.  He had one in our bathroom and told Mitch as soon as it happened which was good, I put him on the potty and he went a lot more, he had another just minutes later (I guess because he's just used to going whenever the urge hits him instead of holding it), then he climbed into our bookshelves in the office, closed the door, and peed.  Luckily, we caught it immediately, and it was REALLY easy to clean up.  Later, we were playing hide and seek with an Easter egg, and he was covering his eyes at the front door.  When he came to look for the egg, I noticed wet footprints coming all the way from the front door, made him go to the bathroom, then clean up after himself when he was done. 

That was the last accident today.  The tally - 6 accidents, 7 pairs of underwear.  (We will just assume that he didn't have ANY accidents during the hour to hour and a half that we were in the pool.) :)

After the last accident, we read books, ate dinner, and then went to brush teeth and sit on the potty again before bedtime.  I decided to put Witten in a Pull Up tonight for multiple reasons. 
1. He's sleeping in his crib tonight because although we bought his big boy mattress today, we decided that we wanted to get the box springs too, and are waiting to get those (hopefully tomorrow).  Also, Mitch had to buy a mattress cover tonight.
2. He hasn't told us once that he needs to potty until it's too late.  I figure that if he can't do that when he's awake yet, there's no way he's going to do it when he's sleeping.
3. Many kids can't be potty trained at night until they are much older, so I figured we'd master what we know we can. 
and 4. He SOAKS his diapers nearly every night, often times leaking onto his sheets.  I think we need to wait until he's at least closer to being dry in the mornings before we try to push the potty training.

All in all, I'm really pleased with how the day went.  Even with all of those accidents, I wasn't frustrated at all.  It helps that we have hard floors, and 10 pairs of underwear.  Mitch actually just got home with 13 more pairs, so we should be good for the next couple of days! 

1 comment:

The Brackeens said...

We were opposite. H did really well with pee early on. Poop took a while. It's easier to clean up pee than poop, so be happy about that. ;) Of course, we mostly trained with a pull-up, so we didn't have wet floors, just wet diapers.