The whole weekend was a blur. We left for New York on Saturday morning, but about 30 minutes after we boarded the plane, they made us all get back off and get our luggage back off. An hour and a half later, we were back on the plane and on our way. By the time we got to New Jersey, it was almost dark, and by the time we got on the train, it was dark. We dragged our two carry-ons and the big suitcase through the turnstiles in the subway stations, and then down the streets of NYC searching for our hotel. We passed it once, and as we were walking by a street, we turned and saw this...
It was literally feet from our hotel. I can't believe how close we were to the Christmas tree. I had always wanted to see it, and I couldn't get enough of it. Here are a few more views. These were taken over the course of our entire trip, not all on the first night.




On Sunday we decided to go to the different Christmas markets around town, and to see Central Park. We didn't find anything worth buying at the markets, and by the time we got to Central Park, it was getting dark, so we just went to see Strawberry fields, which was covered over with snow. Here's a picture of the memorial for John Lennon.
We were pretty tired by the time we got back, but we got a text from Jennifer and Chad saying that they were down by the Christmas Tree if we wanted to meet up. It was so cool that we were all there at the same time, so we met them, took a couple of pictures, and then went to Carnegie Deli for dinner. It was really expensive, but the sandwiches were huge. The meat was piled about 6-9" high depending on the meat you chose, and the cheesecake slices must have weighed at least a pound each.

On Monday, we had a plan. We got up early and left for the Statue of Liberty. It was about 14 degrees outside, and when we got on the Staten Island Fairy, the wind was blowing right in our faces. We were 2 of only about 15 people crazy enough to stand outside to take pictures. Everyone else looked on from inside the warm boat. The wind was so strong, that I had a hard time getting pictures because it kept blowing my camera. Here are a couple, and then one of my and Mitch in the wind.

We walked to this place called the Candy Garage, but it was just a cool picture. There was really nothing interesting to buy.
Then we headed to Macy's to see Santa. Did you know that they have two Santas on duty at a time? What a ripoff!
After lunch, we headed to Dylan's Candy Bar and Serendipity.
There was a fire down below the street, so there were lots of firemen on the street. It was all very exciting. I even got a couple of great shots of the firemen in the candy store.
I had been looking for the perfect snow globe since we got to New York. I finally gave up, and got a cute one from Serendipity. Later that night, we went to Top of the Rock, and I found the snow globe I had been looking for. We ended up buying that one too. It was freezing again, and VERY windy, but we stayed at the top for quite a while. It was so peaceful since we were the only ones stupid enough to spend any length of time up there. Here are some skyline pictures from the top. 


After Top of the Rock, we headed back, but stopped for more pictures at the tree. That's when I got my best shots. Many of them are the ones above.
There were a few hiccups on the way home. It started when we found out our flight was leaving early, and we weren't on the way to the airport yet. We left immediately, only to find at the train station that one of the tracks was down, and some trains were being cancelled. Ours was on standby, and I began to worry. We ended up only leaving 5 minutes left, but we had to stand the entire way to the airport. Oh well.
On Tuesday, we didn't have much time, so we ran out the the NYC firehouse museum. They even had an area to try on a uniform. If you don't know by now that I'm obsessed with firemen, then you don't know my at all! I've tried to convince Mitch for years to become a volunteer fireman. I settled for having him take pictures in the uniform...A LOT OF PICTURES. Here are my favorites.
We had packed ALL souvenirs in our carry ons. When we went through security, we both got stopped. Apparently, snow globes have more than 4oz. of liquid in them, and they are considered weapons of mass destruction. Who knew! We had to consolidate the three snow globes into one carry on, and Mitch had to go back and check it. Then, we sat on the runway for an hour after we were supposed to take off. We eventually got in the air though, and we were home by 1am, just in time to spend two more hours cleaning before people showed up for Christmas the next morning.
It was an amazing trip!
1 comment:
HOW FUN!!! I love all your pictures. It looks like it was a fun time of year to go to NYC!
Post a Comment