Monday, August 13, 2007

WAY LATE

I meant to post about this a long time ago, but I was trying to keep things in order for the honeymoon blog, and so I didn't and then I forgot. The Friday after our return from our honeymoon, we flew out to MN for a reception at Mitch's parent's house. That was the first day I actually felt good enough to really get up and do anything after all of the trouble with "honeymoon-itis" (thanks Megan for the term!) We got in and drove straight to Mitch's grandparent's house. They only live about 10 minutes from the airport. We ate dinner there (or rather, they ate dinner and I picked at my plate because I hadn't had more than toast all week) and we visited for a couple of hours. Then we packed ourselves back up in the car and headed to St. Cloud, another hour or so away. We got there pretty late, and I was pretty tired, so we all just went to bed. Mitch and I got the basement room, which was wonderful because it was so cold down there.

(Do any of you remember the mission trip to Maine, and how it was soooo very hot and they were breaking records while we were there? They even blamed the temperatures on us, and said that we brought it up from Texas.) Well anyway, it was HOT in MN. The day before we got there, it was in the 70s. While we were there, it was in the mid-90s. The day after we left, it was in the 70s again. So, it was nice to have a room in the coldest part of the house.

On Saturday we got up and I'm not sure what we did all day, but everyone came over around 1 and stayed until about 5:30. When I say everyone, I'm talking like the whole town of St. Cloud. There were probably 75-100 people who showed up to see us, which was kind of funny because there were only about 45 people in church the next day. Many of the people who came were neighbors and family members from around the state and neighboring states. It was fun, but quite exhausting. I was still tired from being sick, and then it was hot and I was trying SO hard to remember names. Especially the family names. I think I succeeded to some extent, but I hope that they don't hold it against me when I don't remember next time. Also, the girls wanted to wear their dresses, and Cole wore his suit. Mitch and I dressed in the outfits that we left the wedding in. (That only lasted a couple of hours, then we changed into shorts like everyone else.)
Saturday night I watched Hannah, Mya, and Cole play in the yard, and Mitch drove me around town for a couple of hours. Then we went home to open gifts and go to bed.

Sunday was another busy day. We thought we were going for church and a short pot luck, but we ended up staying for a second service after the pot luck and Mitch led a song. We were so tired, and when we finally got home, we retreated downstairs to sleep until it was time to leave for the airport.

Because it was the weekend after the 4th, traffic was terrible, and it was beginning to look like we weren't going to make it, but we did, and got home safely. It was a fun weekend, and I enjoyed getting to meet the family. I hope that we are able to spend more time up there soon so that I can actually see a bit of MN.

3 comments:

suzspeaks said...

Sounds like fun!

Staci said...

Wow! That sounds like a whirlwind weekend! I hope you have pictures to remind you who all was there! lol

Ledbetter Fam said...

So, maybe it was all your fault that it was so hot in Maine. I'm glad that y'all had such a fun time with the family. I know that it is overwhelming and stressful trying to remember the names of all the extended family!

JB