I have not been able to obtain the shot records yet on Lucy, and I need to do that soon in order to get her the rest of the shots she needs. On Saturday night, Jo was over to watch Ocean's of Fear, and when we were done, Lucy went on the carpet. This is gross, but it was so liquidy that it looked like I had spilled a coke on the carpet. It took a half hour to clean up, and it smelled metallic. That was at 9:30. Mitch walked in the door from Houston at 10, and Jo went home. We went ahead and put Lucy in her kennel, and then I woke up at 1:30am, just in time to hear her go again. It was the weirdest sound and smell, and I was beginning to get worried. I got the kennel out, and Mitch quickly followed to clean it up and check on Lucy. While he was doing that, I looked up her symptoms online (something I NEVER do because you can find SO much stuff that makes you worry too much) and Parvo was one of the things that came up. It is very common in puppies, and kills 20% of those treated immediately.
I called the I-20 Medical Clinic and asked them what we should do. They suggested coming in immediately because even if it wasn't Parvo, she could get dehydrated and die. We went in, and since we were in emergency hours (after mid-night) it cost $95 just to walk through the door. We talked about her symptoms, and got a poo test, and the vet didn't think it was Parvo, but we did a Giardia test. It came out positive, and we got the meds needed for her to get better. We got back in bed at 5am.
Staci, you remember our first year of Trek when they told us that Giardia means: "The bottom falls out of your world, and the world falls out of your bottom?" Well, IT'S TRUE!!!
4 comments:
LOL!!! I didn't remember that saying...but I definitely remember the warnings about Giardia! Our friend Ben had it once and said he had to take GIANT HORSE pills and was in the bathroom for days! I've always made sure to purify my water really well! How did she get it?
I'm still laughing about that quote! I'm gonna have to remember that one for our next CO trip!!!
I tried to use that quote in a speech for college. It was my "How To" speech, and I wrote about how to survive in the wilderness. She didn't really think it was the best thing to say in class though.
We're not sure how Lucy got it. I would say it was from the puppy farm where we got her, but it's been about a month, and it should only take a week for that to take place. She does eat her poo though, so that could have something to do with it.
Where are you?
JB
I hope you're doing ok!
Post a Comment