Saturday, November 29, 2008

Prodigal Son

Jude has had a habit of running away. He did it all the time in Oklahoma, but I always managed to find him.
In Irving, I had just moved, and the day before my mom's transplant, he ran away. Mitch got up early the morning of the surgery to search for him, but couldn't find him. That night, on the way home from the hospital, he ran out in front of me on a street near the house. I got him in the car, and he was happy to be home. He ran away again shortly after, and I found him sleeping on the front porch the next morning.

At the house we just moved out of, the neighbor boy jumped the fence shortly after we moved in because his dog got into our yard. He left the back gate open, and Jude ran away. We were unable to find him, but I left the back gate open and the porch light on. A few hours later, he was standing on the back porch waiting to come in.

Last night, Mitch and I went to my parents house for dinner. Lucy was whining pretty badly, and I thought about stopping to kennel her, but I didn't. When we got home, the back fence was open, and both dogs were missing. It was already 10, but we hopped in the cars and drove slowly around the neighborhood over and over again (it's only 3 streets). I found Lucy pacing my car on the road, so I put her in and kept looking. After about an hour and a half, we put the cars away, put Lucy on a leash, and went out to find Jude. At the end of our street, a cop came by and asked us if we had seen any suspicious cars driving around. I told him that it was probably us, and explained what we were up to, then apologized for scaring people. He asked what the dog looked like, and I guess kept a look out on his way out of the neighborhood.

We eventually gave up and came home, but left the back gate open with a light on outside, and the blinds in our room that open up to the back porch were open. At 8:30 this morning, Lucy wanted out. As I looked outside, Jude wandered up onto the porch. I'm so glad that he made it home again.

1 comment:

The Brackeens said...

Oh my goodness! How scary! Last night I was only home for an hour before I had to go out again, so I left Sadie in the backyard. When I came home, she was standing at the garage so excited to get to go in. She's only escaped once before and it was a long chase before we got her back. I really thank God she survived (there is a busy road in front of our house and she's not trained about that yet), and that she was waiting for me. I still have NO idea how she got out. Fence intact and gates shut. But I feel your pain. I am also impressed she found her way home in a new neighborhood!