Tuesday, December 15, 2009

More Info

Apparently I have more readers that I though, AND, you all want more info...I'm guessing you want the part after I got pregnant, and not how it happened because that wouldn't be appropriate for this type of website.

The Monday before Thanksgiving was a school day for me. I called the fertility doctor because I was fairly sure that I was a few days late. She said that I should either start my new cycle that day, or have a positive test result. I knew I wasn't starting, so I peed on a stick. I was very nervous because I've had trouble making the ovulation tests work in my favor, the pregnancy tests have been even more obstinate. Anyway, I thought I saw a VERY light pink ling going through the negative. I needed to take another one to make sure though, so I drank a lot of water and waited...it didn't take long. Unfortunately, I needed to go worse than I thought I did, so I messed up the test, and it didn't register at all. I had waisted my last test.

I told Mitch that he needed to come home right now. When he finally got here, I told him the news. His reaction wasn't quite as big as I had expected...it was more of a quiet, "Oh, yea," then a jumping for joy. We ran out to Target to buy two more boxes of tests. One was the CBE digital test that actually says pregnant or not pregnant. The other was the regular old EPT. I decided I couldn't wait, so I ran into the bathroom at the store and took the 3rd test. Then I did exactly what it says to do on the package. I threw it into my bag and jostled it around. When I got to the car, I pulled it out and it clearly said, NOT PREGNANT. I was very upset, but I knew the first one was positive, SO, I decided it didn't work because I had diluted my urine too much with the water, and I probably should have held the test still and straight like the box actually says to do.

We went straight from Target to my parents house (3 used pee tests in the bag) to tell them that they may or may not be grandparents. My mom and I scrutinized the tests some more and decided that yes in fact, I was probably pregnant. She told me to take a test on Tuesday morning when I woke up. I couldn't wait that long though, so as soon as we got back home, I got out another test, my 4th at this point, and tried again. While I was waiting for that one, I checked out the 2nd test, and saw that after a couple of hours, it finally registered, and it too was positive. The 4th test came out positive, and at that point, I felt comfortable in calling the doctor the next day and telling her the news. She of course set up blood tests for me the following week.

The tests went well. She was checking my HCG levels. The first reading was really good, and the second one was close to double, but not quite. She said that was fine though. Then we scheduled my first sonogram.

Last Wednesday, I went in and saw the baby for the first time. We could see the little heart beat, and it was crazy fast. The sonographer (I don't know if that's what she's actually called, but I think it made me sound smart) said that that was good news. She then asked when my last period was. I told her that I had no idea, and she chuckled and said, "You're an infertility case and you don't keep notes on all of this stuff?!?" I told her that I got a sonogram, took pills, peed on a stick, got another sonogram, gave blood, then started over...there was no need to pay attention to dates! Then I told her that I was 4 1/2 weeks along, and that I had ovulated 4 1/2 weeks ago. To my surprise, that meant that I was 6 1/2 weeks along. Now, I'm putting this out there for the rest of you ladies who are in the dark as I was...you're dates are based on when your last period started, not when you conceived. I don't know why none of you moms ever mentioned that crazy fact before!
Since then, we have be waiting excitedly to be a little farther along before sharing the news with lots of people, but at almost 8 weeks, I couldn't wait anymore.

I have another appointment over Christmas break, and Mitch will come to that one. He was very disappointed to miss the first one. We are supposed to hear the heart at the next one. Maybe it'll look a little bigger too!

Just because I feel like this blog needs a picture, here is Baby T at 6 1/2 weeks. It's the part with the white line through it.

4 comments:

megan said...

congratulations! So happy for you guys!

Rebecca said...

Well, we used fertility meds, just not any procedures. We were going to draw the line at medicine.

Rachel said...

That first sono is so exciting! And I'm QUITE sure I have mentioned that the weeks begin at period, not conception. Need to bruch on MY blog, girl!
You will listen to the heartbeat at every single appointment. The first time is the most exciting, but it's always fun to hear that little racing beat! Congrats!

Staci said...

So exciting!!! Thanks for telling the story (the "after"...not the "how") lol