Friday, December 04, 2009

I'm a Big Kid Now

When I moved out of the on campus apartments at OC and into my own place the summer before my senior year, my mom took me to Target to buy a few essentials including lamps, shelves, groceries, and this little gem. We put this dresser together in my 750 square foot apartment and it has moved with me several times since then, from my apartment in OKC to my parents house, back up to OKC to the house I rented, and back to my parents house. Then off to my house in Irving, followed by my 1st house (that I owned) in Arlington, and finally to this current house. Over the years and through the moves, it has become quite rickety. It's seen better days.
This monstrosity was left for us in the bedroom by the previous owners of our house. We have thought of many ways to get rid of it over the last year, but haven't followed through with any of them. Then the bank that foreclosed on all of the vacant lots in our neighborhood decided to put a big dumpster out at the end of the street so that we could clean up the neighborhood a bit, there's lots of construction trash left over from the old builders, as well as other stuff. They said that it was a good chance for people to throw away big things that were cluttering their garages. After much debate on how to lug this huge thing down the street, I finally convinced Mitch that we could take it apart and take it down there in pieces. We got the first load in no problem...it was just all of the innards. The case was still pretty heavy, but we thought that between the two of us, we could lift it into the dumpster. On our way won there, two lawn workers in the neighborhood who were coming back from the dumpster saw us and volunteered to help. It's a good thing too because the three men struggled to get it in there, so I'm not sure how much help I would have been!
Then we were left with a great void in our bedroom. I decided that going to a couple of furniture stores before dinner might be a fun date. Mitch wasn't as sure, but he came along for the ride anyway. That's when we found this at Ashley Furniture for 25% off (they were having a pre-Thanksgiving sale)!
I feel like a real grown up now with a real grown up dresser in my real grown up room!

No comments: