The doctor on call on Saturday came to me and gave me the choice. She said that I could go home that day and make an appointment on Monday to have my staples taken out, OR, I could stay one more day near my baby and get my staple taken out at the hospital. I was very apprehensive about the staple, so I chose to stay one more night and get them out sooner. It also gave us more time to be near Witten.
On Sunday, the new doctor on call came in and said that I was free to go. When the nurse came in to take out my staples, she asked if I had talked to the doctor about my blood pressure. I told her no, because I hadn't been told anything about it. She said that it had been climbing all day, and that it was at a level that she didn't feel comfortable sending me home without him checking it. When she talked to him, he said that I needed to stay another day. I turned into a puddle right there in front of her. There was no consoling me. For the next 9 hours, we tried to get my bp down, and I got the room packed up to go home. The doctor finally came back and explained that with my bp as high as it was, he was afraid I would have a seizure, so he sent me back downstairs to labor and delivery, and they drugged me back up on magnesium. My dad came around 11pm to sit with me while Mitch ran home and get some stuff to stay through the middle of the week. I fell asleep sometime while my dad was here, and only woke up for pumpings, and I even fell asleep during those. This went on all day Monday and all night Monday night. On Tuesday morning at 7am, they finally decided to turn off the mag. I started feeling better withing an hour, and my mom came just after Mitch left to sit with me for the day. I was told that I would be going home Wednesday assuming my bp stayed good. Well, it was really low for me all day, so they adjusted my meds so that it would be a little higher.
Last night, it started climbing again for unknown reasons. The doctor came in at 7 this morning and said that he wanted me to be monitored for another day, and I turned in to another puddle. Mitch offered to stay here to help me out, but I sent him on his way. I pumped while he was still here, and while he was visiting Witten before he left, I dropped the milk on the floor. Enter yet another meltdown this morning.
It has been very difficult pumping without help since I'm trying to keep doing both sides at one time. That doesn't work as easily without someone helping you set the pumps.
I have been in to see Witten 4 times today, and the nurse thinks she figured out why my bp was registering so high last night. Since they noticed the equipment malfunction, my bp has been good, and it looks like after 8 days, I should be allowed to go very soon.
It's a bittersweet feeling. I get to go home and sleep in my own bed, and pump without being walked in on, BUT, I go home without my son.
2 comments:
Wow, you have been through so much. What a way to begin motherhood. I'll be in town this weekend - please let me know if there is anything at all I can do!
Praying for you Becky! Love you and that sweet little baby.
Post a Comment