Thursday, May 27, 2010

If it's not one thing...

it's another.

Monday night we set out for the hospital at 5, and realized that we forgot the milk at 5:20. We live quite far from the hospital, and they close the NICU to visitors from 6:30-7:30, so we had to wait to go back until later. On the way home, I was tell Mitch about how tired I had been all day. Then I started to notice that my skin hurt, which for me is a sure sign of fever. We got home, and I checked. Sure enough, it was in the 99's. I rode up to the hospital with Mitch, but I had to wait in the waiting room for him to get done. I couldn't see Witten even with a low-grade fever because the babies in there are just too fragile.

On Tuesday, I went to the doctor and found out that I had a uterine infection. He said that I must not have read my books on pregnancy because I've done it all wrong. Apparently having toxemia and delivering 2-4 weeks early isn't abnormal for first pregnancies, but having toxemia and delivering 11 weeks early is VERY abnormal. Also, if you're going to get a uterine infection, it should happen 3-4 days after you give birth. For me, it's been 2 weeks.

When I got home from the doctor, my fever began to go up, spiking at 104.2. I was scared as was Mitch, but we decided to give it an hour before going to the ER as the doctor had instructed me to do. (You should know that he suggested hospitalization during the visit, and I asked if there were any other alternative. I've had just about enough of living life from the hospital!) Luckily, it began to come down, and by morning, my fever had broken.

At the doctor's office on Wednesday, my temp was in the 99's again, but it was much better. By the time we got home though, it was back up to 102.2. It was getting very frustrating. My fever broke 2 more times throughout the night, and today I've been fever free all day. This excited me because I have to be fever free for 24 hours to see Witten. Unfortunately, at 5:00pm, it crept back up to 100.4. Will it ever end?

On top of it all, I have this horrible cough that causes some issues I won't go into, and the medicine that I got for it makes my mouth taste funny, so I haven't eaten since Sunday because everything tastes terrible.

Through it all, Mitch has been great. He's worked from home 2 days this week, and spent his days running back and forth from the office to the bedroom to help me pump, or get me drinks, and he's taken me to the doctor. Between that and the 12 nights he spent sleeping on the chair at the hospital, I can't imagine going through all this with anyone else!

Mitch has a really cute picture on his phone of Witten, but he hasn't emailed it to me yet, so that'll have to wait for another day.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

what in the world?!? you can't catch a break! hope things are better today and that you are on the mend. it's so frustrating to hear different things from different doctors...but hang in there. there must be a cloud with a silver lining hanging around here somewhere. :)

Gena said...

Keep us updated on everything. I'm praying things only start to get better and better.