Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Glucose Test

Well, I failed my one hour, so they had me do my 3 hour glucose test. The nurse actually called me yesterday while I was in the hospital, so I told her that I was here and I would try to have it done before I left. By that time, all the doctors had gone home, so my night nurse said that if the on-call doctor got called in, she'd ask him to order the test for this morning.

When I got up, we learned that he had never been called, so we had to wait for my doctor to show up. They were hoping he'd be in by 7, but he didn't make it in until after 9. He went ahead and ordered the test, but they didn't actually get it started until 10:30. I then had to go for 3 more hours without eating. (I hadn't had anything since 9 last night.)

At 1:30, they came in with my last blood test and a tray of food. Shortly after, my dad brought me a sandwich from Subway. While I was eating, the nurse came in with my results.

They drew my blood 3 times. The first time, I was just over the highest level that they wanted. The second time, I was just under that level. The third time, I was WAY under that level. Since my first two were a little high, they decided to go ahead and treat me for gestational diabetes. I'm not so happy about that, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. Hopefully I won't get the full treatment since my numbers were actually below the cut off.

I've been told I'm going home in the morning. I hope they follow through with that!

No comments: