Today Witten was 3lbs 15oz. He must be at least 4lbs to move into a real bed. He has also been on room air for almost 24 hours. Once he is consistently on room air, he will move off the Cpap back onto the nasal cannula. I'm praying that he hits both of those milestones tomorrow.
Yesterday the doctor called and informed us that they've been doing blood and urine tests for a week on his due to his erratic breathing early last week. She said that he came back positive for two infections, and he is now being treated for 7 days. She also said some stuff about doing tests on his kidneys after that to see if they were formed right. This sounded scary, and I of course started crying as soon as we got back out to the car (we were in Babies R Us using one of our 20 off coupons from the shower.) When we got to the NICU, I asked the nurse (my favorite, so she tries to work in our room now) what exactly they were looking for with his kidneys. She explained that his bladder should get all of the urine and keep it until it is passed, but sometimes it moves back up into the kidneys and causes infections. I asked if that was easily treatable, and she said it was just some more antibiotics until he out-grew the problem. Until then, worst case scenarios had been running through my head...even to the point of kidney transplant. Why don't doctors just tell us in the first place what they really mean?!?
Anyway, all seems minor, and as soon as he's off the Cpap, he'll be able to start trying to bottle feed. I'm praying that he surprises all the nurses and is really good at it, but from what I've heard, it's a long road. I'm just continuing to pray specifically. My goal date is July 2nd. That's the day before my mom leaves for Mexico, so she'd be there for his homecoming, and he'd be home for the holiday weekend.
Still no pics...maybe tomorrow if he's progressed!
No comments:
Post a Comment