Monday, July 30, 2007

Black Friday

Ok, so Friday of the honeymoon wasn't actually that bad, but there was a kink at one point in the day. All week long we spent the mornings analyzing the activities of the day to determine if we would wear our rings or not. Driving around or shopping, yes. Snorkeling, no. Going to the beach?!? Well, that's a tough one. I decided to wear only my wedding band, and leave the engagement ring in the safe at the hotel. Mitch wore his ring too.

We decided to go to the beach this morning because we thought it might be our last opportunity to go. We had plans for Saturday, and on Sunday, we weren't going to have a room to change and shower in anymore, so we wanted to go to the beach one last time.
We went out to one by the hotel, but we ended up in an area of the beach that was more populated. It was also better for swimming than the 1st beach that we went to. We hung out in the water for a while and played around, but tried to stay aware of our rings. As we were walking in to go clean up, Mitch turned to me really fast and asked me if I had his ring. I thought he was kidding and laughed, and said no. He still looked serious, so I pulled his hand up and sure enough, it was missing! We were about 20-30 feet out from the shore line when we started walking in, but we walked in a diagonal path, so there was no telling. Also, the waves kept moving the sand underneath us, and I thought for sure the ring was a goner. Even if it stayed where it fell, the sand was going to cover it up. I saw some people entering the water with snorkel masks on, and Mitch asked them to help us look. In the meantime, I was walking back and forth in the shallow water, trying not to cry, and praying that we would find the ring. As I was praying, I turned back to the deeper area (about 3-4 feet) where one of the snorkelers was. I kept praying as I looked at him, and all of a sudden, I saw him do this little jump move, and then he disappeared under the water. I ran to him because I knew he had found something, and as he came up, I grabbed the ring from him and told him I was going to hug him. Mitch put the ring back on, and after an awkward hug between him and the snorkeler, we headed back to the hotel. When we got our bag from the beach, I grabbed my camera, and quickly snapped a couple of pictures of our heroes. The guy on the right is the one who found the ring.
We had dinner reservations on a dinner cruise, and it was about an hour drive. The city that the boat left from was supposed to have good shopping, so we took off a bit early to check it out. There had been some pretty fierce fires on Maui on Thursday, and it was still burning on Friday, and we got to see this rare sight. It was really exciting.When we got to town, we were a bit tired, and it was too warm to walk around since we were all dressed up, so we jumped back in the jeep, hung up a couple of t-shirts that we bought in the windows and the windshield, and took a nap. Afterwards, we headed to the boat. While we were waiting, we saw a wedding party that looked like it was about to board another boat, but we never saw them get on, so who knows! We got on our boat, and it was rather empty which was kind of nice. The girl that we picked up our tickets from was on the boat with her boy friend, and as I watched them go to a worker on the boat to get their picture taken, I saw him start dancing with her, and then he got down on one knee and proposed. It was really cute. The lady took pictures of the whole thing for them.

We got plenty of food, and it was all you could drink of absolutely anything you could possibly want. They not only had all the alcoholic drinks that you could think of, but they had every coke, and of course water. It was really a great time, and the boat was a lot smoother ride than the one yesterday!When we got off the cruise, there was still a bit of time left, so we went over to the mall and found this really great store called Banana Wind. We stopped in, bought a couple of things, and then headed over to the pretzel stand to get some shave ice (something you have to get when you're in Hawaii.) Mitch just got a scoop of ice cream, but I got some blue vanilla shave ice with ice cream in the bottom. The service was awful because although the place didn't close for 10 more minutes, the kid running it was ready to close the window. It was SOOO good though!

2 comments:

Ledbetter Fam said...

So fun! I know that Dava Lynn's husband, Slade, lost his wedding ring on their honeymoon. They didn't find it.

JB

suzspeaks said...

I'm so glad the ring was found!!