Monday, July 23, 2007

Luau

We heard from our travel agent that the Old Lahina Luau was the best on the island, but you're supposed to book about a month in advance. I called on Monday to see if they had any openings, and they didn't, but they put us on the waiting list. We got in for Tuesday night. Apparently it's the most authentic luau on Maui, and we had a blast. I took almost 100 pictures because I was playing with flash and shutter speed. Many of the pictures didn't turn out clear because they tend to move a lot on stage, but they have beautiful colors. When we got there, they seated us one group at a time, gave us a lei and a Mai Tai as we were walking in, and put us at a table of 8. We were on the far side of the stage against the back wall, there are only 3 tables deep, so we weren't far from the stage. There was lots of entertainment before dinner began, so we walked around and saw a girl making leis, and a man carving masks and statues. There was also a live band. They really like the Beach Boys there, so the band played a lot of Hawaiian renditions of Beach Boy's songs. The luau was our first experience with the Hawaiian Beach Boy songs, and that's pretty much what we heard the rest of the week. That and this guy called IZ. He sings the Hawaiian "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". They called us all over to the pit where they had cooked the pig all day. We watched them dig it out, but I was behind some tall people who didn't kneel like the guys running the show asked them to, so the pictures were taken without me being able to see what I was getting a picture of because I just held the camera up as far as I could.When that was done, we went back to our table, and they began taking us two tables at a time to the buffet, and they did a great job of keeping the line moving. In fact, only 2-4 tables were in line at a time, and you were so busy visiting at your table, and being served an endless amount of any drink you can imagine, so the wait was fun.
The show was really great, and they had this one hula dancer that I just couldn't figure out how she moved her hips so fast, and how she stayed on her feet. It was amazing!





4 comments:

Staci said...

The pics of the luau were great! It's hard to get pics at night of people dancing! lol

Rebecca said...

Now Staci, you know we can't watch people dance...they were "coriographing!"

Ledbetter Fam said...

I've always wanted to go to a luau. That sounds like lots of fun! Was the food good?

Juli Beth

suzspeaks said...

I want to know more about the food too! That looks SO fun!!