Friday, June 13, 2008

Guest Room/Kitchen

2 years ago, right before I moved in, a bunch of friends came out and helped me paint the house. I bought a 5 gallon bucket of paint, and it painted the living room, both halls, and my bedroom. We didn't have enough paint or energy left to do the guest room, and the office happened to be pretty much the same color as I had bought, so we just left it. The kitchen needed a lot of prep, so we couldn't paint it.
I went back to Lowes last week and got a bucket of paint for the kitchen, but it didn't quite match the living room. You couldn't tell because they didn't connect exactly, and the lighting is different in the two rooms, so the colors look the same. The problem was that the living room and kitchen share one wall that leads to the back yard, and there was no way I was going to be able to get by with just painting the wall the same color as the rest of the kitchen.

I found the card with the mix instructions for the 5 gallon bucket, so I took it up to Lowes, and they mixed two more 1 gallon buckets so that I could paint the kitchen and the guest room. When I started on the kitchen wall though, it was WAY too dark. I think the woman used the exact same amounts to mix into the 1 gallon buckets as they had for the 5 gallon bucket. It was NOT going to work for the kitchen. I had to prime back over the 1/4 of the wall that I had painted so dark, and then my mom decided to look in the 2 year old 5 gallon bucket to see if there was enough for that one wall. There was...barely! We scraped the bucket clean, literally, trying to get enough to cover the last spots on the wall.

When I moved into this house, the guest room was purple. EVERYTHING was purple...including the switch plates and the switches!
I decided that the darker color was going to be perfect for the guest room though, so yesterday I headed in there and painted it. Since my mom and I had primed on Wednesday, and I put on a thick first coat, it only took one coat! I was so excited. Here is the final product. (Minus the lamp that I stole from the guest room to be on my night stand until we can buy the second lamp for our room.)

1 comment:

Staci said...

That looks MUCH better!