Saturday, February 19, 2011

Movin' on Up

Well, Witten finally graduated from the nap nanny in our closet to his crib in his own room. We were going to do it a week earlier, but then he got sick and we wanted to wait until he was feeling well. On Monday, just after his 9 month birth day, he got to sleep in his own bed. We took the bumpers off the bed because that's what everyone tells you to do, then set up his angel monitor. We went for the tough love approach. I cuddled with him, gave him kisses, and put him in his bed. He was pretty much asleep at that point. About an hour later, he woke up and started screaming. We checked on him to make sure that everything was ok. Since he was fine, we moved him to the middle of the bed and left the room. After 19 minutes of tortured screams, all was quiet. I waited about 15 more minutes, then went in his room to check on him. He was fast asleep, but his legs were caught in the rails. I moved him back to the middle of the bed and decided to put the bumpers back on. He's big enough to roll himself over if there's a problem, and the angel monitor monitor's movement as slight as breathing in and out, so we'd know if there were a problem. After that, he and I were able to sleep soundly. He did wake up a couple of times in the middle of the night and cry for 2-3 minutes, but he was able to get back to sleep quickly. It's been really nice to have the freedom to make noise in the bathroom in the morning without waking him up.

Here's a picture of his first night in his crib. I was a little too stressed with all of the crying to get as many pictures as I would have liked.

No comments: